Benefits of setting up a Parent Champions Scheme
For over a decade, the Parent Champions programme has transformed the lives of families across the country as well as the lives of Parent Champions volunteers.
In 2017, Parent Champions supported nearly 7,000 parents, 57 per cent of who were black, Asian and minority ethnic, 22 per cent had children with special educational needs and disabilities, and 13 per cent lived in rural areas. 2,000 two year olds took up a free childcare place thanks to the help of a Parent Champion.
• Our peer to peer model is well-established and proven to be effective at raising parents’ awareness of the benefits and availability of local services, such as free early education entitlements - parents are more likely to trust other parents
• The model is adaptable can lend itself to a variety of messages and behaviour changes to meet your local needs
• Low cost method of spreading information and increasing take-up of services, particularly to families who are more likely to miss out
• The National Network of 56 Parent Champions schemes provides opportunities to share best practice, get a national profile, gather national parent voice to campaign and lobby for policy change
• High quality resources and accredited training to build volunteers’ skills to help them be successful Parent Champions and improve employability
We were proud to celebrate Parent Champions volunteers for their hard work and dedication at the Redbridge Children's Centres Awards 2018.
Last month, we visited Parent Champions East Sussex at Crowborough Children’s Centre with the Department for Education, to learn about the good work they are doing in the community.
Childcare entitlements for 2 and 3-4 year olds are providing benefits for parents and children, but families are missing out because of a lack of information.
Parent Champions are part of a community of parent volunteers gaining valuable experience while helping local families.
Parent Champion Caerphilly becomes the first Welsh scheme to join the Parent Champions National Network
Welcoming our first Parent Champions scheme in Wales to join the National Network.
Parent Champion of the Year 2017, Jade Taylor, shares her inspirational story of how becoming a Parent Champion has transformed her life