Parent Champions Conference and Awards 2016
The Parent Champions conference and awards took place on Thursday 10 March 2016 at BMA House, Tavistock Square, London.
The Parent Champions conference is held every year to celebrate the achievements of Parent Champions. The conference is attended by members of the Parent Champions National Network and usually features a high-profile speaker. The conference gives attendees an opportunity to learn more from the experiences of local schemes and hear about the wider national context for Parent Champions.
We were delighted to welcome Parent Champions and Parent Champions Coordinators from across the country in our Parent Champions National Network to this conference. The conference celebrated the achievements of Parent Champions and gave attendees an opportunity to learn more from the experiences of local programmes and hear about the wider national context for Parent Champions. We were delighted to welcome Dr Helen Stephenson, Director of Early Years at the Department for Education as the key note speaker. We were also proud to welcome our partner Contact A Family.
The Parent Champions awards were presented at the conference.
Winner of the programme of the year award
Housing Leeds and Leeds Community Parent Champions Group
Winner of the volunteer of the year award
Michelle Wiggins, Haven Nursery School and Children’s Centre, Gosport, Hampshire
Winner of the outstanding contribution to the national network award
Wandsworth DCR/WAND Parent Champions Programme
Nominated for Parent Champion volunteer of the year were:
- Ilham El Fenne, Contact a Family, Greenwich
- Judith Akhidenor, Contact a Family, Greenwich
- Kafayat Eletu, Contact a Family, Greenwich
- Charlotte Stiles, Action for Children, Havant and Waterlooville Children’s Centres, Hampshire
- Tamara Cowdrey, Action for Children, Havant and Waterlooville Children’s Centres, Hampshire
- Sara Tuck, The Parent House, Islington
- Yeluta Berhe, Housing Leeds, Inner East Area, Leeds
- Joanne Scaife, Sheffield
- Michelle Wiggins, Haven Nursery School and Children’s Centre, Gosport, Hampshire
Nominated for Parent Champions programme of the year were:
- Greenwich Inclusion Project, Greenwich and Woolwich
- Action for Children, Torbay Children’s Centres, Torbay
- DCR/WAND Parent Champions Programme, Wandsworth
- Parent Champions Programme and Positive Families Parenting Project, Housing Leeds
More Parent Champions conferences and awards
500 children took up free childcare in 2017 thanks to the help of a Parent Champion. We celebrated hard work of our volunteers.
We were delighted to welcome Caroline Dinenage MP, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Women, Equalities and Early Years.
We were delighted to welcome Liverpool MP Louise Ellman who presented the first ever Parent Champions awards.
We were delighted to welcome Ruth Shinoda, Deputy Director for Early Years Funding, Department for Education.