New research commissioned by the Mayor of London reveals that the government’s funding rates for the 30 hours childcare offer is creating winners and losers in the capital. In 58 per cent of London boroughs, childcare providers are receiving less in funding to deliver free childcare for three and four year olds than what parents would have paid for that care – but in the other 42 per cent of boroughs the funding rate is higher.
The Family and Childcare Trust found that childcare providers in nearly a quarter of London boroughs will see the funding they receive to deliver the 30 hours offer drop by an average of 5 per cent from April this year, while childcare providers in another third of London boroughs will see their funding go up by 8 per cent.
Childcare providers reported that their largest cost driver was staff – both paying their wages and providing training. The report also found large variations in costs between different providers based on their location, type of setting, support from their local authority, age and how full the setting was.
The new research is part of a broader package of work to support the early years sector by Sadiq Khan. Today City Hall lays out plans to measure progress in improving childcare and early years provision in London and the actions they are taking to support this. The action plan includes a new Childcare Sufficiency Assessment template for London’s local authorities to help them understand whether they have enough local childcare places and the London Family Fund which has been designed to promote social integration among parents and families.
The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, said:
Deputy Mayor for Education and Childcare, Joanne McCartney, said:
Ellen Broomé, Cheif Executive at the Family and Childcare Trust, said:
Notes to Editor:
The Family and Childcare Trust were commissioned by the GLA to complete research into childcare in London including: childcare costs; reasons for childminders leaving the market; creating a Childcare Sufficiency Assessment template for London local authorities; and developing a baseline and theory of change
The Family and Childcare Trust’s Childcare and early education funding in London report found that in 58 per cent of London boroughs, the average price paid by parents of three and four year olds exceed the average payments that settings receive from Government. In 50 per cent of London boroughs, the average price paid by parents of two year olds exceed the average payments that settings receive from Government. Settings in these areas will be more vulnerable to losing money due to the extension of the free entitlement, as parents will be paying for less care.
The Family and Childcare Trust’s Childcare Survey 2018 found that childcare prices have surged at double rate of inflation, undermining Government’s new investments, and that London has the highest childcare costs in Great Britain. The survey was published on 28 February 2018. https://www.familyandchildcaretrust.org/childcare-prices-surge-double-rate-inflation-undermining-government%E2%80%99s-new-investments
The Greater London Authority have today published Early Years in London: A baseline and consultation. The deadline for consultation responses is 28 May 2018. www.london.gov.uk/early-years-consultation
Further information on the GLA’s early years plans and the Childcare Sufficiency Assessment template for London’s local authorities can be found at www.london.gov.uk/early-years
The London Family Fund will award grants of up to £85,000 to innovative projects that promote social integration in London. To find out more about the fund and how to apply, please visit: https://www.london.gov.uk/what-we-do/communities/london-family-fund
About the Family and Childcare Trust
The Family and Childcare Trust works to make the UK a better place for families by bringing together what we learn from our on the ground parent-led programmes and our research to campaign for solutions that parents want and need. We focus on childcare and early years to make a difference to families’ lives now and in the long term.
18 July 2018
Holiday childcare costs have risen by four per cent in Wales since last summer, bringing the...
Scottish families facing holiday childcare bill of over £700 – more than double the cost of term time childcare
16 July 2019
Holiday childcare costs have risen by one per cent in Scotland since last summer, bringing the...
Working parents facing holiday childcare bill of up to £800 – more than double the cost of term time childcare
16 July 2019
Holiday childcare prices have risen by percent in Britain since last summer
6 June 2019
Nearly two in three local authorities in London do not have enough childcare for children aged...
28 February 2019
Parents now pay an average of £127 per week, or over £6,600 per year, for just a part time...
28 February 2019
Welsh parents now pay an average of £117 per week, or over £6,000 per year, for just a part...