• Help with Childcare Costs


    Training for Local Authorities (including call centre staff), Family Information Services, Children’s Centres, early years settings, schools and HR professionals.

  • Childcare for children with special educational needs and disabilities

    Choosing the right childcare can be difficult but is particularly challenging if your child has a special educational need or disability (SEND).

  • Finding childcare

    Many parents are lucky enough to find suitable childcare as soon as they need it, but it may take several months of searching to find somewhere that accommodates both your own and your child's needs.

  • Choosing childcare

    Finding good quality childcare can be a difficult task for parents. There are lots of things to look out for and remember to ask when you visit a childcare setting.

  • Childcare options for children aged 0-5

    Choosing childcare to suit your family is an important decision, based on what’s available, your working pattern, your child’s needs – and cost. See our information on choosing childcare and visiting providers.

  • Childcare options for children aged 5-11

    Choosing childcare to suit your family is an important decision, based on what’s available, your working pattern, your child’s needs – and cost.

  • Childcare options for children aged 11 and over

    Childcare for parents of school aged children, such as after-school and holiday care, is often crucial to enable you to work, study or train beyond school hours and during holiday times. However, it can be difficult to find an option that works well for older children.

  • Free childcare

    Free early education for two, three and four year olds

  • For working parents

    If you’re working and paying for registered childcare, you may be entitled to some help with your childcare costs.

  • For student parents

    Financial help for childcare costs while you are studying is generally restricted to childcare that is registered with Ofsted.

  • What funding is available for higher education students?

    Childcare Grant

    If you are a full-time, undergraduate or PGCE student, with dependent children aged under 15 (under 17 if your child has), a British or EU citizen – and you pay for registered childcare – you may be eligible for a Childcare Grant.

    The childcare grant is paid in three installments through the Student Loans Company and does not have to be re-paid.

  • What funding is available to students on NHS- funded courses?

    If you are a health professional student – and have received an NHS Bursary, you can apply for help with your childcare costs through the NHS Childcare Allowance.

  • Other sources of funding for student parents

    Professional and Career Development Loans

    You can apply for this if you’re 18 or over and are on a postgraduate or vocational course (learning skills that are specific to a particular job or career, for example, leisure and tourism, engineering or nursing).

    The loan covers two years of study, while you’re in education or job-related training – plus up to one year’s practical ‘on the job’ experience, if this is part of the course.

  • During maternity leave

    You may be entitled to help with your childcare costs during maternity leave.